First, did you know that St. Patrick's day....
"Is a cultural and religious holiday celebrated internationally on 17 March. It commemorates Saint Patrick, the most commonly recognised of the patron saints of Ireland, and the arrival of Christianity in Ireland."
St. Patrick wasnt actually Irish, he was British, but he was kidnapped by Irish raiders and taken back to Ireland as a slave when he was just 16. He ended up leaving Ireland and returing home, but later felt that God was calling him back to Ireland to preach the Christian faith to the Irish people. It is said that he used the Shamrock to explain to the people the concept of the trinity, with each leaf representing one of the God heads. St. Patrick's day is celebrated on March 17th because that is the day St. Patrick died.
I gave the kids a little history lesson on St. Patrick today, and then we made our Shamrock Trinity s....
green pipe cleaners
green construction paper
1. I used Microsoft word clip art to create my printables. You will need one sheet that has a picture for each member of the Trinity :Father, Son and Holy Spirit
2. Then I also used word to type up my poem that goes along with the craft. It is:
3. Then I pre-cut the rest of my material and put them in plastic baggies so they were ready for my kids to put together. But if you have older children you could let them do the cutting themselves. You will need to cut from green construction paper: three large green hearts, and one medium sized green rectangle.
4. Next, glue the three green hearts together to make the shape of a clover.
5. Take the printable pictures you made for the Trinity and glue "Father" at the top, and "Son" and "Holy Spirit" on the two side leaves.
6. use tape to secure one of the green pipe cleaners to the back of your clover as the stem.
7. Glue your Trinity poem onto your green rectangle of construction paper.
8. Then use a hole punch to punch a hole in the top of your clover and in your poem.
9. Lastly, use your remaining pipe cleaner to attach your poem to the shamrock and create a loop so you can hang your Shamrock Trinity.